The Scribbler 3 (S3) robot is the perfect place for students and teachers to begin their STEM/STEAM journey. The robust, easy-to-use S3 robot is simple enough to set up in minutes, and is powerful enough to teach engaging activities throughout the school year. Programming, robotics, and even integrating math and art are all possible with the S3.
The BlocklyProp online tool is the S3 robot’s primary programming environment. Its interlocking blocks with readable text let beginners build programs in an intuitive, visually logical way. The BlocklyProp tool exposes the S3’s encoders to provide control over distance and speed for all possible types of movement. Pre-made blocks support all of the S3 robot’s sensors, motors. In addition, blocks are included for select accessories that plug into the S3’s Hacker Port. Customize your S3 by connecting a Parallax Standard Servo, PING))) Ultrasonic Distance Sensor, or even an XBee RF module if you are an adventurous hacker willing to open the case.
Those who know the original S1 and S2 may also appreciate the S3 GUI for Windows as an easy transition for existing Scribbler curriculum. Both graphical programming tools reveal the underlying text-based code—C for BlocklyProp and Spin for the Scribbler GUI—for advanced users.
- Free BlocklyProp graphical online programming on Chromebook, Windows, and Mac
- Fully assembled with a durable shell
- 8 pre-programmed play modes let your Scribbler interact with you, right out of the box
- Built-in sensors for line following, light seeking, object avoidance, and stall sensing
- DC motors with encoders allow for detailed scribbling, maze navigation, and distance control.
- Integrated pen port fits standard Sharpie pens or Board Dudes SRX Dry Erase Markers
- Speaker plays robot-generated musical notes and sound effects
- Hacker Port gives access to 5 digital I/O pins, two analog pins, 3.3V, 5V, and ground
- Silicone o-ring tires provide good traction without leaving marks
- S3 Li-Po Battery and Programming/Charging Cable included
- STEAM programs combining art with robotics technology and math
- After-school robotics clubs
- Robotics and programming competitions
SHIPPING: Lithium batteries are shipped via UPS only; restrictions apply by country; seedetails.
- Processor: Multicore Propeller P8X32A
- Light sensors: 3 phototransistors
- Line sensors: 2 infrared emitter/receiver pairs, unmodulated
- Object sensors: 2 alternating infrared emitters and one receiver, modulated
- Stall sensors: Motor current monitor, and drive wheel/tail wheel rotation comparison
- Wheel diameter: ~ 8 cm
- Drive wheel encoder resolution: 507.4 counts per revolution
- Power requirements: 3.7 V; 4000 mAh Li-Po battery, included
- Communication: Serial over USB to computer, cable included
- Dimensions: 7.4 x 6.25 x 3.2 in (188 x 158.8 x 81 mm)
- Operating temperature range:+50 to +104 °F(+10 to +40 °C)
See the S3 Open Source Design Files for further information
Available replacement parts for maintenance:
Read and follow all directions in the S3 Info Poster, including battery and safety information. The Scribbler S3 robot is not a toy. Recommended for ages 14 and up. RoHS compliant.