The Propeller chip is a multicore microcontroller that is programmable in high-level languages Blockly, C, and Spin, as well as a low-level (Propeller assembly) language. Application development is simplified by using the set of pre-built objects for video (NTSC/PAL/VGA), mice, keyboards, LCDs, stepper motors and sensors.
The Propeller is designed with an emphasis on general-purpose use, with powerful capabilities that are great for customized high-speed embedded processing, while maintaining low power, low current consumption and a small physical footprint. The Propeller's processors are all identical, each with its own separate memory, and each with an identical interface to all 32 I/O pins and internal shared memory. The architecture is built for swift processing of asynchronous events, equal access to internal and external resources, and dynamic speed and power when it's needed.
The P8X32A-Q44 is useful for production-level SMT-based circuits. The Propeller is easily connected to your computer's serial or USB port for programming using our Prop Plug. The Propeller chip can run on its own with a 3.3-volt power supply, internal clock, and with its internal RAM for code storage. Add an external EEPROM for non-volatile code storage and an external clock source for accurate timing.
- Multicore processing simplifies designs subject to asynchronous requirements
- QFP package for small footprint circuits
- Built-in Spin language is easy to learn
- PropGCC support provides a familiar feel for C/C++ programmers
- Propeller Assembly language supports deterministic timing using single-path, multi-decision techniques
- Internal or external clock sources provide flexible speed options
Note: 160 Tested Chips in a Tray. Higher quantity discounts are available; contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a quote. Unmarked chips (P8X32A-Q44-U) are available by custom order; for full details concerning pricing, deposit, minimum order quantities, and lead times, contact email@example.com.
- Power requirements: 2.7 to 3.3 VDC
- Communication: Serial for programming
- Dimensions: 0.39 x 0.39 x 0.05 in (10 x 10 x 1.4 mm)
- Operating temp range: -67 to +257 °F (-55 to +125 °C)
- P0-P31: General purpose I/O. Can source/sink 40 mA each at 3.3 VDC
- P31: Rx from host (general purpose I/O after boot up)
- P30: Tx to host (general purpose I/O after boot up/download)
- P29: I2C SDA connection to external EEPROM (general purpose I/O after boot up)
- P28: I2C SCL connection to external EEPROM (general purpose I/O after boot up)
- Vdd: Power (3.3 VDC)
- Vss: Ground (0 VDC)
- BOEn: Brown Out Enable (active low). Must be connected to either Vdd or Vss. If low, RESn becomes a weak output (~5 KΩ) for monitoring purposes but can be driven low to cause reset. If high, RESn is a CMOS input with Schmitt Trigger.
- RESn: Reset (active low). When low, resets the Propeller chip; all cogs disabled and I/O pins floating. Propeller restarts 50 ms after RESn transitions from low to high.
- XI: Crystal / clock input. Can connect to crystal or oscillator
- XO: Crystal Output. Provides feedback for an external crystal. Internal C and R selectable for crystals (no other components required)
Long-term supply notification from company owner: The Propeller chip is a full-custom, Parallax design in entirety, unencumbered from any third-party intellectual property obligations. Parallax endeavors to supply Propellers as long as we have demand (i.e., foreseeable future, a minimum 20 to 25 years). As an example of our commitment, Parallax still manufactures the BASIC Stamp I, designed over 20 years ago. For these reasons, customers should have no concern about the long-term supply of Propeller chips. If you have any concern about long-term supply please feel free to contact us for personal communication.
Propeller IP Loader - 14.45 MB | updated: 29 Jul 2014 - 8:32 am
AN007 Soft-loading an Application Image into the Propeller P8X32A via XBee Transceivers - 189.2 KB | updated: 18 Apr 2014 - 1:54 pm
Propellent Software - 738.73 KB | updated: 04 Apr 2013 - 10:18 am
Parallax Serial Terminal - 328.85 KB | updated: 08 Oct 2012 - 3:48 pm
P8X32A Propeller Datasheet - 1.38 MB | updated: 08 Oct 2012 - 3:45 pm
Propeller Tool Software for Windows (Spin & Assembly) - 19.69 MB | updated: 08 Oct 2012 - 3:42 pm
Propeller Manual - 4.7 MB | updated: 08 Oct 2012 - 3:08 pm