This DIP package works specifically with the (3.3 V) Propeller Activity Board, Scribbler S3, and ActivityBot WX robot. For BASIC Stamp and breadboard projects we recommend the breadboard-friendly SIP package.
The Parallax WX ESP8266 Wi-Fi module adds a new dimension of connectivity to your microcontroller applications. Special pre-loaded firmware makes it easy to configure the module to fit your project. Just connect to the module with your smartphone, tablet, or computer’s web browser. This DIP form factor is designed to plug right into the Propeller Activity Board WX; it is also available in a breadboard-friendly SIP module.
The Parallax WX ESP8266 Wi-Fi module can be its own wireless access point (AP), a station (STA) on another Wi-Fi network, or both at once briefly to join another network. In either mode, it can serve its own configuration pages as well as user-created web pages that make it possible for devices to interact with a microcontroller through the Wi-Fi module. It can also send and receive a variety of TCP/IP messages for Internet of Things (IoT) projects, on Wi-Fi networks configured to allow it access. By serving its own firmware upgrade page, this module allows you to pick and upload the latest open source firmware revision, or even variations that support specific applications as they become available.
- DIP form factor plugs right into the Wi-Fi module socket on the Propeller Activity Board (Original and WX)
- 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi access through FCC/CE approved ESP8266-WROOM-02 module
- Supports HTTP (server), WebSocket (server), and TCP (client) connections
- Built-in web pages for easy access to configuration settings, networks, file uploads and over-the-air firmware updates
- About 1 MB of user file system space for storing web pages and other content
- Log into a Propeller ActivityBot with a laptop, tablet, or smartphone to remote control and monitor its sensors via a web page hosted on the WX Wi-Fi module
- Equip your project to send emails or tweets using a service such as IFTTT
- DIY internet-connected sprinkler system, pet feeder, or thermostat
- Device: FCC and CE approved ESP8266-WROOM-02
- Wi-Fi Protocols: 802.11 b/g/n
- Network Protocols: IPv4, TCP/HTTP
- Security: WPA/WPA2
- Encryption: WEP/TKIP/AES
- Voltage requirement: 3.3 VDC supplied through the Activity Board’s WX socket
- Wi-Fi range: 30 meters LOS
- Logic levels: output high 3.3 V, low 0 V, input high > 1.5 V, input low < 1.5 V
- Current requirements: Typical 75 mA, with Wi-Fi transmit peaks up to 360 mA
- DIP WX: 0.078” (2mm) spaced dual row of 10 straight pins
- PCB Dimensions: Approximately 1.0 x 1.5 in (26 x 37.5 mm)
- Operating temp range: +32 to +158 °F (0 to +70 °C)
NOTE: This module is NOT compatible with the Parallax XBee Adapter Board product family.