NOTE: For orders greater than 500 units there is a possible 6-8 week lead time. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The Badge WX combines programming and human interaction for education and events. Users can customize their badge to show names, communicate via infrared, play sounds or games, and display lights in their own theme. The Badge WX is wirelessly programmable using BlocklyProp, a free visual programming tool. See our Getting Started guide here.
We’ve made over 50,000 badges in prior years for conferences, DEFCON and schools. The Badge WX is our best effort – combining Parallax’s simple BlocklyProp wireless programming environment with a wearable, personalize-able electronic device to foster human interaction at events and schools.
The Badge WX can send and receive data, display names and information on its OLED display, and be customized with bright RGB LED colors. The Badge WX’s buttons, display, accelerometer, audio output, and two-way infrared may be used to create games and projects, or simply do what many of us want to experience—programming that’s quick, fun and rewarding without the hassle of wiring!
- Propeller Multicore Microcontroller, our educational platform
- BlocklyProp visual programming language simplifies use of Badge WX devices
- ESP8266 module on board provides wireless programming interface
- Two-way infrared for user data exchange up to three feet
- 128×64 OLED can be used to display names or text in two font sizes
- Super-bright RGB WS2812 LEDs are programmable for visual feedback
- Dual-rocker buttons for navigating the Badge WX operating menu and for user’s custom programs
- 3-axis accelerometer for tilt-control games or to detect the wearer’s motion
- Touchpad buttons add additional human input for games and projects
- Audio output port may be attached to earbuds or speaker
- Interactive badge for conferences, hackathons, and maker spaces
- Experiential learning in programming, cyber security, and information diffusion in the classroom
- Research and experimentation with parallel processing and social communication
- Develop portable games or interactive quizzes
- Expand existing projects with interactive OLED display and wireless control
Note: Requires three size AAA 1.5 V alkaline or 1.2 V NiMH batteries, not included. Lanyard is included.
- Voltage requirements: +3.5V to +4.5V DC (3x AAA battery holder included)
- Communication: onboard ESP8266 WiFi module
- Operating temperature: -13 to +158 °F (-25 to +70 °C)
- Mounting holes diameter: 2.2mm
- Lanyard holes diameter: 4.2mm
- PCB dimensions: 70 x 54 mm
- Cover: 1/8″ clear acrylic
The Badge WX wireless programming requires:
- BlocklyProp Client (Win/Mac/Linux): v0.7.5 or higher
- BlocklyProp Launcher (Chromebook): v0.9.0 or higher