Designed in cooperation with Grand Idea Studio, the Parallax Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) Read/Write Module USB provides a low-cost solution to read and write passive RFID transponder tags up to 4 inches away. The RFID R/W transponder tags provide a unique serial number and can store up to 116 bytes of user data, which can be password protected to allow only authorized access.
The RFID Read/Write Module can be used in a wide variety of hobbyist and commercial applications, including access control, user identification, robotics navigation, inventory tracking, payment systems, car immobilization, and manufacturing automation. This module’s USB interface provides a direct connection to a computer.
Note that read/write distance will vary with tag type.
See our RFID Module & Tag Compatibility Chart here.
- Low-cost method for reading and writing passive, 125 kHz RFID transponder tags
- Up to 116 bytes of user data storage on a single tag
- Optional security features prevent tag from being read or written without password
- Bi-color LED for visual indication of status
- USB mini-B connector for power and communication
- Power requirements: 5 VDC via USB, approx. 20mA idle, 100mA typical active
- Communication: asynchronous serial 9600 bps (8N1) via USB virtual COM port
- Dimensions: 3.25 x 2.45 in (8.26 x 6.2 cm)
- Tag compatibility (Read/Write): EM Microelectronics EM4x50 1kbit R/W transponder tags
- Tag compatibility (Read-only): EM Microelectronics EM4100 Read-only tags