The 74HC165 Parallel to Serial Shift Register allows you to add 8 input pins to your microcontroller using an SPI type (3-pin) interface. Additional shift registers may be daisy chained to add inputs in multiples of 8 with no additional I/O pins required on the microcontroller.
Shift registers like this are often used in video game controllers to read all the pad/button information and get it to the console serially.
- Easy to control from a BASIC Stamp Module using SHIFTIN command
- Typical propagation delay: 20 ns (clock to Q)
- Fanout of 10 LS-TTL loads
- Voltage requirements: 2-6 VDC
- Current requirements: 80 uA max
- Communication: Parallel in/Serial out (SPI type / 3-wire output)
- Package: DIP-16 (0.300″)
- Operating temp range: -40 to +158 °F (-40 to +85 °C)