Build your own "Shield-Bot!" Our very popular Robotics Shield Kit is a complete package that includes an Arduino Uno, programming cable, and 270+ page printed tutorial "Robotics with the BOE Shield-Bot for Arduino," adapted from the original online tutorials. Learn Arduino programming, robotics, and circuit-building all together step-by-step.
Suitable middle school, high school, and college classrooms, as well as robotics summer camps and individual hobbyists. Building the robot takes about an hour, and the online tutorial includes 40 hands-on activities. The assembled robot fits back in its box for safe-keeping between activities. This robot kit can be used as a California A-G approved elective course; contact email@example.com for details.
Additionally, Chromebooks schools may request a free edu.codebender license key for their Shield-Bot fleet.
- Complete — just add batteries!
- Beginner-friendly — No programming experience needed
- Solder-free — Experiment with custom circuits on the breadboard (no special-brand connectors)
- Understandable — Free, easy-to-follow web tutorials and example code downloads
- Autonomous — DIY touch, light, and infrared sensor circuits let the Shield-Bot navigate on its own
- Expandable — Additional sensors and hardware accessory kits are available to get the most out of your robot.
- Affordable — Quantity discounts available
- A robot friend for your home
- "Staff" for your Robotics Summer Camp
- A fleet of robots for your classroom
Note: Requires five 1.5 V AA batteries, not included.
The tutorial will walk you through the following:
- Learning to program your robot's Arduino Brain
- Calibrating the robot's continuous rotation servo motors
- Using lights and a speaker for status indicators
- Assembling the robot
- Preprogrammed navigation
- Using touch-switches to navigate by contact with objects
- Using phototransistors to navigate by light
- Using non-contact infrared sensors to measure distance and avoid or follow objects
- NEW as of 9/21/2016: Printed book "Robotics with the BOE Shield-Bot for Arduino"
- Arduino Uno
- USB A to B cable
- Board of Education Shield PCB
- High-quality aluminum robot chassis
- Continuous rotation servos (50 RPM) and wheels
- 5-cell AA battery pack
- All the electronic components and sensors needed for the tutorial activities
- All the assembly hardware needed (nuts, screws, and standoffs)
- Parallax Screwdriver
Robotics with the BOE Shield-Bot for Arduino Tutorial Code - 157.38 KB | updated: 30 Sep 2016 - 3:34 pm
Robotics with the Board of Education Shield for Arduino - 11.95 MB | updated: 03 Nov 2016 - 4:11 pm
Board of Education Shield Schematic - 54.74 KB | updated: 09 Jul 2014 - 4:11 pm
Parallax Small Robot Comparison Chart - 468.42 KB | updated: 27 Mar 2019 - 2:41 pm
Board of Education Shield (for Arduino) Product Guide - 480.38 KB | updated: 24 Sep 2012 - 10:02 pm