The LaserPING 2m Rangefinder provides an easy method of distance measurement. This near-infrared, time-of-flight (TOF) sensor is ideal for taking measurements between moving or stationary objects. This sensor works well in applications where ultrasonic sensors fail: soft objects and angled surfaces.
A single I/O pin is used to both query the LaserPING sensor for its latest distance measurement, and to read the reply.
The LaserPING 2m Rangefinder can be used with nearly any microcontroller, utilizing its PWM mode or optional serial mode. It is designed to be circuit- and code-compatible with the PING))) Ultrasonic Distance Sensor (#28015), making applications adaptable where different environmental conditions need to be considered. Measurements can even be taken through an acrylic window to protect the sensor; see the product guide for material selection guidelines.
The sensor’s built-in co-processor ensures the right logic levels. Its I/O connections operate at the same voltage supplied to the VIN pin, for compatibility with 3.3V and 5V microcontrollers.
LaserPING 2m Rangefinder Features:
- Non-contact distance measurement with a 2 –200 cm range
- Factory pre-calibrated for accuracy with 1 mm resolution
- Eye-safe invisible near-infrared (IR) illumination using a class 1 laser emitter
- Reverse polarity protection if VIN and GND are accidentally swapped
- Onboard microprocessor handles complex sensor code
- Compatible with 3.3V and 5V microcontrollers
- Breadboard-friendly 3-pin SIP form-factor with mounting hole
- PCB assembled, tested, and completed in Rocklin, California
- Physics studies
- Security systems
- Interactive animated exhibits
- Robotics navigation and parking assistant systems
- Interactive applications such as hand detection and 1D gesture recognition
- Volume or height detection in process control systems
LaserPING 2m Rangefinder Key Specifications:
- Laser: 850 nm VCSEL (Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser)
- Range: 2–200 cm
- Resolution: 1 mm
- Typical refresh rate: 15 Hz PWM mode, 22 Hz serial mode
- Power requirements: +3.3V DC to +5 VDC; 25 mA
- Communication: PWM (idle low) or serial 9600 baud (idle high); logic level = VIN
- Operating temperature: +14 to +140 °F (-10 to +60 °C)
- Laser eye safety: near-infrared Class 1 laser product
- Field of illumination: 23° degrees
- Field of view: 55° degrees
- Form factor: 3-pin male header with 0.1″ spacing
- PCB dimensions: 22 x 16 mm