Our Multicore Concept and Architecture
The Propeller microcontroller is designed to perform multiple tasks simultaneously, and without the need for interrupts or the dictates of an onboard operating system.
Each of the Propeller P8X32A’s eight symmetrical cores can access all 32 I/O pins and other shared system resources. Each core also has its own memory and a set of configurable hardware for creating, releasing, and re-creating software-defined peripherals as needed.
This nimble design easily adapts to numerous uses, freeing the developer from re-learning an infinite stream of IC variations. Thus, application development with the Propeller can reduce design-to-production cycle time and parts counts.
The Propeller P8X32A design files are released under the open-source GPL v3 license. This allows developers and students to simulate the microcontroller on a computer or an FPGA to perform advanced application debugging and qualification. The license allows for derivative works, so anyone can use the Propeller P8X32A microcontroller as a base for research, development, or any form of experimentation.
Where is the Propeller used?
When might you choose to use the Propeller?
Architecture, Specifications, and Package Options
Propeller P8X32A Specifications
- Languages: Spin (native, object-based), Assembly (native low-level), C/C++ (via open-source Propeller GCC toolchain)
- Power Requirements: 3.3 VDC
- Operating Temperature: -55 to +125 degrees C
- Processor cores: Eight 32-bit cores
- I/O Pins: 32 GPIO CMOS
- External Clock Speed: DC to 80 MHz
- Internal RC Oscillator: ~12 MHz or ~20 kHz
- Execution Speed: 0 to 160 MIPS (20 MIPS/cog)
- Global ROM/RAM: 32768/32768 bytes
- Cog RAM: 512 x 32 bits/core
The Propeller P8X32A is available as a 40-pin DIP chip for prototyping, and 44-pin QFP and QFN package types for volume manufacturing. There are also a variety of evaluation and development boards designed with students, hobbyists, and professionals in mind. For high volume orders or information on price breaks, please Contact Sales.