XBee XB3-24Z8PT Series 3 PRO Module, PCB Antenna (Long Range) Overview:
The XBee Series 3 PRO module with PCB Antenna (XB3-24Z8PT) communicates up to to 300 feet (90 meters) indoors or in urban areas, and 2 miles (3200 meters) outdoors, line-of-sight. If you do not need this distance and your project would benefit from lower current consumption, consider the XBee Series 3 Module XB3-24z8PT-J PCB Antenna, which works to 200 feet (60 meters) indoors and 4000 feet (1200 meters) outdoors, line-of-sight.
The Digi XBee Series 3 modules are the successors to the popular Series 1 and 2. The Digi XBee modules remain the easiest and most flexible way to quickly get a reliable RF link working with Parallax products. Digi has taken significant steps forward with the Series 3, combining 802.15.4, ZigBee, and BLE protocols over UART or SPI into one product. The Series 3 can be used in mesh networks to communicate with multiple devices around your home, robot fleet, or across longer distances. These improvements include consolidated part numbers and increased features, at about the same price to the consumer.
The Series 3 programming and configuration is similar to the Series 1 and 2, but with more options. For example, you may still use the traditional X-CTU with a USB cable and a Parallax XBee USB Adapter, but there’s also an app for iPhones or Androids, which is supported by a tutorial. There’s also a MicroPython port!
Series 3 are not 100% compatible with the Series 1 and 2 modules. Out of the box, the Series 3 configuration values (mainly baud rate and channel) must first be set with X-CTU, whereas the Series 1 and 2 came pre-configured with identical channels and 9600 bps baud rates.
Note: Contact the Parallax Sales Team for quantity pricing.
Q: What else should I purchase to use the XBee Series 3 with Parallax boards?
Using the Parallax XBee SIP Adapter you may connect these modules to any Parallax board. The Propeller Activity Board WX has a specific socket for the module, built-in. For any of these uses, the XBee USB Adapter Board is needed for connecting the module to X-CTU. If configuring the Series 3 with the iPhone and Android apps, you only need to power the Series 3 module and the XBee USB Adapter Board is not required. Your phone will detect it through the BLE radio.
Q: Can you change protocols?
Yes, you can change the firmware loaded into it to run any of these protocols: ZigBee®, 802.15.4, DigiMesh, and Bluetooth. To change protocols, use the “Update Firmware” feature in Digi’s XBee Configuration and Test Utility (XCTU) program and select the firmware. Reference Digi’s XCTU User Guide for more information. For first use, we suggest Parallax customers stick with the 802.15.4 mode since our code examples will run.
Q: What is the difference between XBee Series 3 andXBee Series 3 PRO?
The difference is transmit power. Digi XBee 3 has +8 dBm output transmit power, whereas Digi XBee 3 PRO has +19 dBm, which helps to increase effective communication range. Additionally, the transmit current consumption for Digi XBee 3 PRO is higher in comparison to Digi XBee 3.
Q: Can XBee Series 3 modules communicate with the Series 1 and 2 modules?
Yes, Digi XBee 3 modules are fully backward-compatible with Digi XBee S2C modules and a network can be formed utilizing both variants.
XBee XB3-24Z8PT Series 3 PRO Module Features:
- Suited for long range networking, up to 90 m (300 ft) indoor/urban, and 3200 m (2 mi) outdoors line of sight
- Compatible with Parallax XBee adapters for easy connectivity to 0.1″ breadboards and through-hole boards
- Regulatory approvals: FCC, IC (North America) RCM (AU), Anatel (BR)
XBee XB3-24Z8PT Series 3 PRO Module Applications:
- Industrial control systems
- Environmental sensor networks
- Large-scale remote control special effects
XBee XB3-24Z8PT Series 3 PRO Module Specifications:
- Transceiver Chipset Silicon Labs EFR32MG SoC
- Data Rate: 250 Kbps, serial up to 1 Mbps
- Range, Indoor/Urban: Up to 90 m (300 ft)
- Range, Outdoor RF Line-of-sight: Up to 3200 m (2 miles)
- Transmit Power: +19 dBm
- Receiver sensitivity: (1% PER) -103 dBm Normal Mode
- Serial data interface: UART, SPI, I2C
- Configuration: AP or AT, commands, local or OTA
- Frequency band: ISM 2.4 GHz
- Interference immunity: DSSS
- ADC inputs: 4, 10-bit
- Digital !/0: 15
- Memory: 1 MB / 128 KB RAM (32 KB available for MicroPython)
- Network protocol: Zigbee 3.0
- Encryption: 128/256 bit AES
- Channels: 16
- Supply voltage: 2.1 to 3.6 V
- Current, transmitting: 135 mA @ 19 dBm
- Current, receiving: 17 mA
- Current, power-down: 2 µA @ 25º C (77º F)
- Antenna: Integrated PCB trace
- Package type: Through-hole DIP, 2 mm spacing
- DImensions: 2.438 x 2.761 cm (0.960 x 1.087 in)
- Operating temperature range: -40 to +185 °F (-40 to +85 °C)