Parallax 2 x 16 Serial LCD with Piezo Speaker (Backlit Blue) Overview:
The Parallax Serial LCDs (liquid crystal displays) can be easily connected to and controlled by a microcontroller using a simple serial protocol sent from a single I/O pin. The LCD displays provide basic text wrapping so that your text looks correct on the display. Full control over all of their advanced LCD features allows you to move the cursor anywhere on the display with a single instruction and turn the display on and off in any configuration. They support visible ASCII characters Dec 32-127). In addition, you may define up to eight of your own custom characters to display anywhere on the LCD. An onboard piezospeaker provides audible output, with full control over tone note, scale and duration using ASCII characters Dec 208–232.
- Clear 40-pixel characters support ASCII DEC 32-127
- Turn backlighting on or off with a single command
- Eight user-definable custom characters
- Move the cursor anywhere or clear the display with a single command
- Build-in piezospeaker lets you add audible alert tones
- Baud mode selector and adjustable contrast on the back of the display
- Professional-looking text and tone output on any microcontroller application
- Easy serial debugging without a computer or monitor
- Real-time sensor data output on autonomous robot
Note: Styles and dimensions may vary slightly. This product is a compatible replacement for the discontinued 2×16 Serial LCD (Non-backlit), #27976.
Parallax 2 x 16 Serial LCD with Piezo Speaker (Backlit Blue) Key Specifications:
- 2 rows x 16 characters
- Built-in piezospeaker
- Test mode verifies display functionality
- Blue backlit display
- Adjustable contrast knob
- Baud rate switches on back of device
- Power requirements: +5 VDC, 20 mA (light off), ~ 80 mA typical (light on)
- Selectable asynchronous serial baud rates: 2400, 9600, 19200
- Connection: 3-pin male header with 0.1″ spacing for ground, power, and input signal
- Approximate dimensions (may vary): 1.42 x 3.15 in (36 x 80 mm)
- Operating temp range: -4 to +158 °F (-20 to +70 °C)
The LCDs currently for sale are updated to Revision F. Basic functionality remains the same, but power requirements and the layout of the backpack have changed. Please see the documentation for information on your model.
This device can be connected to a PC serial port using a MAX232 line driver. The circuit isn’t supported by Parallax, but it’s possible to make this connection with a few extra parts.