If you are a fan of the original BASIC Stamp Boe-Bot Robot, but find you need to convert one (or a whole fleet) to use an Arduino Uno, use this retrofit kit to create a "Shield-Bot."
The Board of Education Shield plugs right on top of the included Arduino Uno. The two boards are held together with the included hardware. A 5-AA battery pack brings the power supply up above 7 V, the recommended input voltage for an Arduino Uno. (Already have an Arduino Uno? Get this version instead.)
Then, you are ready to follow "Robotics with the BOE Shield-Bot for Arduino" as a web tutorial (free) or printed text (sold separately). This adaptation of the original Robotics text begins with a programming tutorial, and then works through all of the classic DIY navigation sensor circuits: touch-whisker switches, light-following with photo-transistors, and object detection with infrared headlights. (If you are also in need of replacement circuit components, see our Boe-Bot and Shield-Bot Refresher Pack.)
Many robotic add-ons are also supported with Arduino example code, including the QTI Line Follower, Ping))) Ultrasonic Distance Sensor & Mounting Bracket, Gripper Kit, and IR Remote Control. See the Additional Resources below for links.
- Retrofits your Boe-Bot robot with an Arduino Uno in a Board of Education Shield
- Board of Education Shield supports all the classic DIY navigation sensor circuits
- 5-AA battery pack brings input voltage up to 7.5 V
- Hardware included for holding the Shield and Arduino Uno together
- Supported by the Retrofit Instructions and free Robotics with the Board of Education Shield web tutorial
Note: USB A to B programming cable required, not included.
Note: The 5-AA battery pack brings the power supply up to 7.5 V; the Arduino Uno input range is 7-12 VDC, with 7 V recommended. If you are using 1.2 V rechargeable AA batteries, you may add a 6th cell with the optional Boe-Boost module, sold separately.
- (1) - Arduino Uno (#32330)
- (1) - Board of Education Shield for Arduino (#35000)
- (1) - Battery Holder 5-AA Barrel Jack (#753-00007)
- (3) - Spacers, 1/2" Nylon
- (3) - Hex Nuts, #4-40 Nylon
- (3) - Screws, 7/8" #4-40
- (3) - Screws, 3/8" #4-40 Nylon
Note: A USB A to B programming cable is required, not included.
Note: The 5-AA battery pack brings the power supply up to 7.4 V; the Arduino Uno input range is 7-12 VDC, with 7 V recommended.
Robotics with the Board of Education Shield for Arduino - 11.95 MB | updated: 03 Nov 2016 - 4:11 pm