WIth the LSM9DS1 9-axis motion sensor module, your inventions can measure their direction, orientation, and motion. The LSM9DS1 is used on our ELEV-8 v3 Quadcopter's Flight Controller. We have made it available in a convenient SIP module for easy prototyping, as well as conveniently studying the physics involved in motion tracking.
This sensor is a “system-on-a-chip” that contains 4 different sensors: a 3-axis accelerometer (for measuring gravity or acceleration in 3D space), a 3-axis gyroscope (for measuring rotation), a 3-axis magnetometer (for measuring magnetic field strength - used to find Magnetic North), and a temperature sensor that can be used for calibration.
The LSM9DS1 9-axis motion sensor module can be used with nearly any microcontroller—it can be powered by 2.8, 3.3 or 5 volts and it uses either a 3-pin SPI interface or an I2C bus. Use it as a single sensor—accelerometer, a gyroscope, a magnetometer, or a temperature sensor—or all of the measurements can be read together for use in inertial measurement or dead-reckoning applications. It can also be configured to drive an interrupt when detecting impacts, free-fall, or magnetic field ranges.
This module is supported by the Propeller C library lsm9ds1.h, and by a set of code blocks in the BlocklyProp online programming tool.
- Measures linear acceleration, angular velocity, and magnetic field strength on three axes
- Measures the temperature, and internally temperature compensates all readings
- Low power usage—great for battery-powered applications
- 16-bit precision with selectable sensitivity is adaptable to your project's needs
- Breadboard-friendly SIP form factor
- Physics studies
- Stalled, tilt, and collision sensing
- Free-fall detection
- UAV control systems
- Platform level/balance
- Compass navigation
- Gesture-based game-controller
Note: Though not a drop-in replacement for the discontinued MMA7455 3-Axis accelerometer (#28526) or HMC5883L compass (#29133), this module can be used similarly in applications.
- 3 acceleration channels, 3 angular rate channels, 3 magnetic field channels
- ±2/±4/±8/±16 g linear acceleration full scale
- ±4/±8/±12/±16 gauss magnetic full scale
- ±245/±500/±2000 dps angular rate full scale
- 16-bit data output
- 952 Hz refresh rate for accelerometer and gyro
- Up to 80 Hz refresh rate for magnetometer
- Programmable interrupt generators
- Embedded temperature sensor
- Voltage requirements: 2.6 to 6.5 VDC
- Current requirements:<5 mA
- Communication: 3-wire SPI or I2C
- Dimensions: 0.87 x 1.19 in (22 x 30.15 cm)
- Operating temperature range: -40 to +185 °F (-40 to +85 °C)
LSM9DS1 IMU Module Schematic - 39.57 KB | updated: 17 Feb 2017 - 4:23 pm
LSM9DS1 IMU Module DipTrace Files - 177.46 KB | updated: 17 Feb 2017 - 4:18 pm
LSM9DS1 9-axis IMU Module Guide - 215 KB | updated: 17 Feb 2017 - 4:08 pm
Propeller C Learn Folder - 9.36 MB | updated: 03 Jul 2019 - 9:18 am