DISCONTINUED. See our Rangefinder Chart for current product options. Lightware’s SF02 is a lightweight laser rangefinder module that provides fast and accurate distance measurements from 0-50 meters (0 to 164 feet). Using pulsed-laser time-of-flight measurements, the SF02 is not affected by wind, noise, ambient light, terrain, air temperature, or changes in barometric pressure. This sensor works both indoors and outdoors.
For a quick test, simply connect the SF02’s USB port to your computer and open a serial terminal. Set your terminal to 115,200 kbps and distances are immediately available.
- Laser accurately detects surfaces and measures distance up to 50 meters (164 feet) where ultrasonic and infrared distance sensing are inadequate
- Outputs 32 readings per second for quick data refresh
- Supports USB, analog and digital interfaces for a variety of applications
- No calibration required – ready to use right out of the box
- Configurable voltage output and ground/object proximity alarm settings
- Distance detection for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) between craft and ground
- Calculating speed of moving objects or vehicles
- Measuring depth of materials (snow, fluid, sand) from above
- Counting passing objects
Please Note: 50m range is for units using Rev 3+ firmware only. For those using earlier firmware versions, maximum range is 40m (130ft). See Lightware's website for more details.
The SF02 is a Class 1M laser under Food and Drug Administration Guidelines. Class 1M lasers are considered non-hazardous unless viewed with optical aids including magnifiers, binoculars or telescopes.
As an importer of this laser product, Parallax’s supplier has completed the necessary FDA Dealer and Distributor records in Title 21, Subpart E. Purchase this sensor from Parallax and receive our warranty, customer service, and quick shipment.
- Weight: 2.43 oz (69 g)
- Range: 0 to 130 feet (0 to 40 m) on natural targets
- Resolution: 0.39 in (1 cm)
- Accuracy: ±( 0.1 + 1%) m
- Update rate: 32 readings per second
- Communication: analog, serial and digital, 3.3 VDC CMOS
- Power supply voltage: 6.5 V to 9.0 V or 5.0 V ± 0.5 V DC
- Power supply current :150 mA (maximum)
- Laser power: 14 W (peak), 6 mW (average), Class 1M
- Dimensions: 1.1 x 2.3 x 3.4 in (27 x 59 x 86 mm)
- Operating temperature range: 32 to 104 °F (0 to 40°C)
- Approvals FDA: 1310953-000 (2013/12)
- Mounting: 4-40 screw or 4 x M3 (3.2 mm diameter)
- Connections: Screw terminal: 0.1 in. pitch header
Note: lens color may vary depending on availability of anti-reflective coatings.
SF02, SF10, SF30 Additional Setup Instructions - 251.98 KB | updated: 02 Feb 2017 - 1:02 pm
SF02 Laser Rangefinder Arduino Code Example - 1.55 KB | updated: 12 Jun 2015 - 1:04 pm
SF02 Laser Rangefinder Propeller Spin Demo Code - 5.89 KB | updated: 12 Jun 2015 - 12:51 pm
SF02 Laser Rangefinder BASIC Stamp 2 Demo Code - 3.86 KB | updated: 12 Jun 2015 - 12:53 pm
SF02 Laser Rangefinder as UAV Landing Aid - 624.9 KB | updated: 14 May 2014 - 9:09 am
SF02 Laser Rangefinder Propeller C Code Example - 1.97 KB | updated: 18 Jun 2015 - 8:04 am
SF02 Laser Rangefinder Manual - 1.3 MB | updated: 14 Nov 2017 - 9:51 am