(FULL) Robotics with Python: 3-Session Distance Learning Course
This course is geared toward middle school and high school educators, though all educators middle school through college are invited to apply.Monday, June 8, 2020 - 8:00 am to 9:30 am Wednesday, June 10, 2020 - 8:00 am to 9:30 am Friday, June 12, 2020 - 8:00 am to 9:30 am 599 Menlo Drive, Rocklin, CA 95765
THIS COURSE IS FULL.
Parallax is accepting technology educators who want to learn Python programming, electronics, cybersecurity and problem solving with the micro:bit and cyber:bot robot.
Educators apply at the link above, and if accepted, will be shipped a free cyber:bot robot kit for use with our live distance learning course. We accept 50 educators per 3-session course, based on their qualifications and match for the program, not the order in which applications are received.
- Be a technical educator in the U.S.
- Agree to attend and actively participate in the three Zoom meetings (June 8th, 10th & 12th 8 am Pacific (9/10/11 in Mountain/Central/Eastern).
- Teach one of the following subjects in middle school through college: computer science, robotics, coding, PLTW robotics, intro to computers, engineering technology, STEM/STEAM, electronics, mechatronics, Python, cybersecurity, or similar.
- Have a desire to move beyond “STEM learning toys” or over-priced competition kits where only a few students get the coding experience, towards an evenly-distributed system where competitions can be done in class.
- Be in the position of exploring and specifying hardware for the Fall semester.
- Not have already received a free robot from Parallax.
THE COURSE EXPERIENCE:
- We will run a virtual classroom with a teacher and assistants via Zoom Meeting (not Webinar) where all are welcome to use video and microphone.
- You will have the cyber:bot robot in your hand, and will be using it like a student.
- You will need a computer with audio (required) and microphone/camera (preferred).
- You will need a free USB 2.0 compatible port and permission to install software for the robot (Windows 7/8/8/10 (not RT), Mac OS, or Chromebook).
- We will walk you through the steps of setting up the software and connecting the robot.
- We will use breakout rooms for problem-solving.
- You will have homework to do before each session, assigned by email.
Over the three sessions, you will develop experience with electronic circuit building, writing Python code and finding syntax errors, navigating the robot with sensors, and troubleshooting the entire robotic system. Together you will learn how to overcome any technical hurdle that may catch your student while gaining enough knowledge to confidently guide students through the tutorials.
We will also discuss how to deploy these robots effectively in a classroom environment. Most importantly, you’ll finish equipped to run the classroom your students will remember — a result of topic relevance, experiential-based learning, and interest.
Have questions? Call the Parallax Educator Hotline at 916-701-8625 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.