This USB charger is great for DIY projects and uses a standard A to mini-B USB cable to connect to any computer or USB wall adapter. You can use it to charge a Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer battery or charge your project directly with the included leads or both. Just know that if you're doing both, the battery will charge slower.
This Lithium Ion/Lithium Polymer charger is based on the MCP73833. Charging is performed in three stages: a preconditioning charge, then a constant current fast charge, and finally a constant voltage trickle charge to keep the battery topped off. The fast-charge current is 500 mA by default, but is easily adjustable from 100 mA up to 1000 mA by soldering a through hole resistor on-board.
This board is great for DIY projects and easy to use due to the three indicator LEDs - one for power, one for the charging status and a third that indicates when the charging is complete. You can also keep the battery connected to the charger and pass power through the additional JST connector using the included cable.
- Comes assembled and tested with an additional JST connector for wiring in your favorite project board
- 5 v input via mini-B USB connector allows for charging from multiple sources
- Small profile allows you to install the board in an enclosed control application, or an open project
- 0.1" breakouts for the battery, DC IN, and status LED
- For use with lithium Ion/Lithium Polymer 3.7/4.2 v batteries, not older 3.6/4.1 v cells
- Supports a 10 K NTC Thermistor which has been filled by a 10 K resistor. If you need temperature monitoring, remove the 10K resistor and solder the thermistor in its place.
Note: Batteries and USB cable are not included.
- Weight: 0.2 oz / 5.7 g
- Charge Current: Adjustable from 100 mA to 1000 mA by soldering in a resistor
- Dimensions: 1.3 x 1.4 x 0.3 in (33 x 35 x 7 mm)
Microchip Datasheet for the 73833 Charge Management Controller - 1.32 MB | updated: 03 Jun 2013 - 11:13 am