Have you wanted an LED that can fade from deep red to bright purple? Flash like a police light? "Breathe" softly? Glow like a firefly? Turn on with the subtle fade of an incandescent bulb? Flicker like a candle? That's BlinkM, a smart LED that lets you do all of that without having to know any electronics engineering or programming.
The BlinkM is an ultra bright wide-angle RGB LED attached to a microcontroller with onboard memory and the software that makes creating arbitrary light colors and smooth color patterns very easy. BlinkM Sequencer--our free Open Source sequencing software runs on most operating systems--makes it easy to select any RGB color or pattern and instantly upload it to BlinkM.
Once programmed, the BlinkM can be detached from its programming interface and work standalone. It will then glow the programmed color or play the programmed pattern whenever 5 volts is applied, just like a regular LED, but with much more flexibility. It can be reprogrammed thousands of times, or stay tethered and be controlled using simple software commands, changing colors in real time.
- No programming experience needed (when used with LinkM and FreeM)
- No electronics experience needed
- Controllable with any microcontroller (BASIC Stamp, Propeller, etc.)
- Reconfigurable network address
- Full-color RGB LED w/ 24-bit color control
- Can plug directly into LinkM, no wiring or other components needed!
- Specify colors using 24-bit RGB or HSB
- 8000 mcd (millicandelas) of light intensity
- Fade between colors with variable timing and fade speeds
- Randomized color selection, with ranges and based on previous color
- 18 built-in light scripts (sequences)
- Create and save light scripts of up to 49 commands long
- Stand-alone operation: No microcontroller needed for light script playback
- Up to 127 BlinkM channels on a single two-wire network
- LinkM USB Programmer; Item Number 32326 (used for easy color programming)
- FreeM Controller and Power Supply; Item Number 32327 (Use a 9V and Sony remote protocol for control)
- Power requirements: 3.6-5v operating voltage, 60mA max
- Communication: Two-wire (aka "I2C") control
- Dimensions: .61” wide by .61” long, by .42” high (without header pins)
- 4-pin 0.1" spacing BlinkM I2C connector
- OSX 10.3.9, Windows XP/7, Linux
- Java 1.5 or later (included with Windows installation)
Downloads & Resources:
BlinkM Datasheet (.pdf)
BlinkM Communicator (.zip)
BlinkM Examples (.zip)
BlinkM Sequencer Source (.zip)
BlinkM Sequencer Windows (.zip)
BlinkM Sequencer Macintosh (.zip)