The Smart Card Reader provides a low-cost solution for reading and writing data to contact memory-based smart cards and is compatible with both the BASIC Stamp® and Propeller™ microcontrollers.
Today, smart cards are used in a wide variety of applications from healthcare to personal finance. They are ever-increasing in popularity due to their convenience and security. Generally, smart cards are about the size of a credit card with an embedded IC for storing data. Our Smart Card Reader can be used with the compatible Smart Cards listed below for a variety of applications such as security systems, data storage, tracking systems, and identity authentication.
- Low-cost solution for reading and writing data on standard smart cards
- Compatible with most memory-based smart cards (not compatible with microprocessor-based smart cards)
- Card detect switch allows confirmation of smart card insertion
- Dual-row SIP header for breadboard stability and easy prototyping
- Mounting holes included for use in permanent applications
- Easy interface to both the BASIC Stamp and Propeller microcontrollers
Compatible Smart Cards:
- Power requirements: 2.7 - 5.5 VDC
- Communication: Dependent on protocol of smart card used
- Dimensions: 2.95 x 2.05 in (7.5 x 5.2 cm)
- Operating temp range: 32 to 158 °F (0 to 70 °C)
Note: Example BASIC Stamp 2 and Propeller P8X32A example code is available on each of the above Smart Card product pages.
Downloads & Resources:
Smart Card Reader Documentation (.pdf)