LCD Character Creator
Custom Character Code Created in Seconds
Featured in the September 2001 Nuts & Volts Stamp Applications Column ("Tool Time"), this handy program from Jon Williams makes it easy to create custom characters for your HD44780-compatible parallel LCD. This is how it works:
- Download and run the LCD Character Creator on your PC
- Open a sample character file or create your own by clicking the pixels you'd like to use
- Copy the DATA statement into the sample PBASIC BASIC Stamp® programs shown in the program's help file (BS2, BS2e, BS2sx and BS2p24).
- Hookup an HD44780-compatible display to your BASIC Stamp microcontroller according to the help file's schematic and download the code (see below for recommended hardware)
|Nuts and Volts Stamp Applications "Tool Time" Article (680 KB) article describing the use of the LCD Character Creator program below. Requires Acrobat Reader.BASIC Stamp Windows Editor V 1.33 for BASIC Stamp 2, 2e, 2sx, 2p Editor Windows 95/98/ME/NT4.0/2K/XP
|LCD Character Creator software (3.8 MB) with sample source code and character files. Requires Internet Explorer 5.0 to run help files and MS Windows 98 or higher is recommended. BASIC Stamp 2p Editor for DOS
Click Pixels and Generate Character and BASIC Stamp Code
Use Computer-style Characters for your Next Stamp Project!
Though it works with all BS2-style BASIC Stamp modules, nothing makes it quicker than using the recommended equipment. A BS2p24 ($79) on a BS2p Demo Board ($79) with our HD44780 LCD with cable ($39) plugs together for immediate operation.
Installation Notes for some Machines
If you experience installation problems on some computers here's a minor but important fix. The error message that occurs (from Windows Installer) will say something similar to, "This package can not be installed by this version of Windows Installer. You must install a service release to update Windows Installer." To solve this problem:
1) Download and run the proper Windows Installer Update program (see below). This will update your Windows Installer utility.
~Installer for Windows 95/98/ME
~Installer for NT4/2K
2) Reboot your computer.
3) Run the LCDCC Setup.exe program again.
Report any problems you encounter to email@example.com