BASIC Stamp® Windows Editor
The latest BASIC Stamp Windows Editor is available on our downloads page. This official version of the software is compatible with the BS1 and all BS2 versions. In addition to the editor itself, the help file has been updated significantly to offer the best possible support for our customers. If you have any questions, please contact technical support.
||PBASIC Lang. Version
|BASIC Stamp 1
||v2.1 or Higher
|BASIC Stamp 2
||v1.0 or Higher
||2.0 and 2.5
|BASIC Stamp 2e
||v1.096 or Higher
||2.0 and 2.5
|BASIC Stamp 2sx
||v1.091 or Higher
||2.0 and 2.5
|BASIC Stamp 2p
||v1.1 or Higher
||2.0 and 2.5
|BASIC Stamp 2pe
||v1.33 or Higher
||2.0 and 2.5
|BASIC Stamp 2px
||v2.2 or Higher
||2.0 and 2.5
Bug Fixes for 2.5.3
- Updated installer to include BASIC Stamp Help v2.5.4 and updated a few related source code examples.
- Updated BASIC Stamp Editor to include the adjusted source code examples in module libraries.
Bug Fixes for 2.5.2
- Fixed bug that was preventing the Generate Object Code feature from properly extracting the Stamp Loader.
General Information for 2.5.1
- Updated error 305 - "Hardware communication failure! Check serial cable and power supply" to use the term "programming cable" instead of "serial cable" since it applies to both serial cables and USB cables.
- Fixed misspelled word "occurrence" in error and status messages.
- Updated Run menu to include function key shortcuts instead of Ctrl+ shortcuts. NOTE: Ctrl+ shortcuts still remain in effect.
- Added serial search rule to automatically exclude the PropScope from serial port search operations.
- Updated the included Parallax USB Driver Installer to v2.08.02.
Bug Fixes for 2.5.1
- Fixed bug causing Edit Tips button to fail on the Tip of the Day window.
- Fixed bug causing copy/paste operations to fail from BASIC Stamp Help.
General Information for 2.5 (R2)
- Includes Stamp Loader information in the installer's Documentation feature. This is automatically installed unless user configures otherwise.
Bug Fixes for 2.5 (R2)
- The original v2.5 release unintentionally had the Stamp Loader and Single Executable options of the Generate Object Code feature disabled. This was an unforeseen side effect of digitally signing the executable (something Parallax will do on future releases) as the added signature information conflicted with how the Stamp Loader is included within the executable. For now, the installer will continue to be signed, but the stampw.exe executable will remain unsigned until this conflict can be resolved.
General Information for 2.5
- Includes a much-improved help system with step-by-step getting started and troubleshooting guide as well as improved navigation and tips.
- Enhanced BASIC Stamp Editor Help menu to include links to new BASIC Stamp Help, BASIC Stamp Manual v2.2, and What's A Microcontroller v3.0 text.
- Updated USB drivers to the Parallax USB Driver Installer v2.04.16 (R2).
- Updated a number of example BASIC Stamp programs.
Bug Fixes for 2.4.2
- Enhanced to prevent system-level dialog indicating "No Disk in Drive..." when a drive and/or path is scanned on a removable media drive that has no media in it. This would occur on some systems with media card readers either upon BASIC Stamp Editor startup, during the session, or both.
General Information for 2.4
- Enhanced serial port configuration options to allow user to include/exclude ports based on port ID or port description.
- Enhanced to be aware of serial port add/remove events the moment they occur. Special error processing is now included and remember/reopen features added to Debug Terminal. These features make using USB-based development boards much more reliable and user-friendly (ie: can disconnect and reconnect while Debug Terminal open).
- Added support for Auto Recovery of fatal Serial Port Scanning failures.
- Enhanced preferences' Default COM Port and Debug COM Port fields to validate settings and to properly save and restore those regardless of current serial port presence.
- Operating System Note: This version will not function properly on versions of Windows older than Win2K. Support for Win95/Win98/WinME/WinNT4 was officially dropped in 2006, however, versions prior to this one still continued to function properly. This version is the first to contain enhancements that rely on Win2K (and later) features.
Bug Fixes for 2.4
- Fixed bug introduced in v2.3.3 that caused the Debug Terminals' COM port ID to change to 'NONE' when the port is the target of a new download. This was just a visual error; the Debug Terminal would continue to work properly either way
- Fixed bug in serial routines to prevent error message from displaying upon port configuration at times when it is not appropriate. This prevents a strange, extremely wide and blank dialog box from appearing when a port disappears while a non-GUI thread is trying to access it.
- Fixed bug in Progress form that would cause the serial port list to update when it had detected multiple stamps on existing ports. The update could cause rows to be misconfigured if a port add/remove event occurred in-between the original detection and the display of the Progress Form in the multi-stamp-found error mode.
- Fixed bug causing the Debug Terminal to clobber its baud rate if a download occurred on the same port but the BASIC Stamp was not found.
Bug Fixes for 2.3.9
- Updated Generate Object Code feature to allow it to load Names and Message settings from object code with file format v1.2 (old) or v1.3 (current).
- Fixed bug that prevented on-line help from appearing on some systems.
Bug Fixes for 2.3.8
- Enhanced compile process to clear packet buffer before compiling so that the Generate Object Code feature does not store extraneous data from previous compiles into the object file. In previous versions, this "old" data was never used or downloaded into the BASIC Stamp, but it was unintentionally included with object files from the Generate Object Code feature.
- Included Stamp Loader v3.5 that supports previous object code file format (v1.2) as well as the current format (v1.3).
General Information for 2.3.7
- Enhanced Identify dialog to leave focus on Refresh button after selection.
- Enhanced Identify dialog to accept F6 key press as another Identify request.
General Information for 2.3.5
- Updated to support BS2pe firmware v1.6 and BS2px firmware v1.1.
General Information for 2.3.4
- Updated to support BS2p firmware v1.7.
General Information for 2.3.3
- Fixed bug that, in rare cases, causes a machine to reboot due to invalid settings being used to configure the serial port. This would occur when a Debug Terminal is opened and a COM port was selected while the other options (Baud, Parity, etc.) were set to invalid values.
- Includes StampLoader v3.2 which supports more USB-to-Serial adapters that, otherwise, struggle to make DTR / Break conditions happen in the proper order.
Bug Fixes for 2.3.2
- Fixed bug causing piped-control feature to malfunction and not load files. Also fixed piped-control bugs regarding source file changes during tokenization and download, and use of multiple source files.
General Information for 2.3.1
- Updated to support BS2e firmware v1.2 and BS2sx firmware v1.3.
General Information for 2.3
- Updated to support BS2p firmware v1.6.
General Information for 2.2.9
- Enhanced to fix most scaling/alignment issues on machines with their preferences set to large fonts.
General Information for 2.2.8
- Updated to remove Help.exe and methods that rely on it for on-line help. Recent Windows updates (01/2007) have caused conflicts with the Help.exe program.
- Updated to detect serial ports with or without an exposed interface.
- Updated Preferences, COM Edit window, and Debug to refresh the COM ports lists upon drop down.
- Updated Stamp Loader to version 2.9 to include updated serial port enumeration routine
General Information for 2.2.7
- Enhanced Generate Object functions to support selection of desired program slots and whether or not to hide actual Slot IDs. Updated Stamp Loader to v2.8 to support these changes.
General Information for 2.2.6
- Added support for BS2sx v1.2
- Updated StampLoader to support the above module.
General Information for 2.2.5
- Added support for BS2pe v1.2 through v1.5
- Updated StampLoader to support the above modules
General Information for 2.2
- Added support for BS2px v1.0
- Modified to ignore File Associations and Tips File settings when a source file is given on the command line.
- Modified to enable the USB-based boards to support the BS2pe.
Bug Fixes for 2.2
- Fixed Serial routines to open any COM port number (1 to 256).
- Fixed bugs that caused the software to except when user tried to invoke functions through the command line such as: stampw.exe /tokenize something.bs2 > output.txt
-- or --
stampw.exe /download something.bs2 > output.txt
- Enhanced Enumerate COM Port routine to work properly with a rare case where the computer has more than on GUID for the reserved name 'PORTS' in the registry.
General Information for v2.1
- Enhanced routine that retrieves the Com port list from the computer so that it retrieves port names even on Win2K and WinXP machines where the user is logged in as a restricted user.
- Re-aligned items on Preferences window.
- Updated Simple syntax scheme to include all the capitalization that the PBASIC scheme does.
- Modified identification routine to retrieve the computer's list of COM ports every time it is activate.
- Added Find/Replace to edit control's shortcut menu.
- Enhanced to cause editor tabs to hottrack (turn blue as mouse is directly over them).
- Enhanced to allow right-clicking tabs. This brings that tab to the foreground and opens a different shortcut menu containing only "New Page", "Close Page" and "Close All" menu items. This allows user to right-click and close any page at any time, right from the tabs, without having to first select the page then right click the edit control.
- Added feature to allow editor to remember the last tab that was active before right-clicking a tab and closing it.
- Enhanced editor to store Find/Replace Dialog's last known position in the registry (and subsequently restores it next time).
- Added "Don't Show This Message Again" checkbox to the WARNING message that appears when retokenizing for a different Stamp as the result of a download operation.
- Added "Don't Show This Message Again" feature to "This file belongs to project..." message.
- Added "Don't Show This Message Again" feature to "Multiple files are open. Close them and the editor?" message.
- Added "Replace - F4" to Edit menu.
- Removed "Print" from Editor's shortcut menu.
- Added "Save", "Save As", "Run", "Check Syntax" and "Memory Map" to Editor's Shortcut menu.
- Added "Save" and "Save As" to Editor Tab's shortcut menu.
- Enhanced Find/Replace dialog box's Replace option to do a single replace, then stop, unless user held down the control key, in which case it would do a Find Next (if nothing currently selected), then a Replace, followed by another Find Next.
- Added F3 and F4 keys as Find Next and Replace, respectively. Ctrl-F4 does a Replace/Find, just like holding the control key down while on the Find/Replace dialog box.
- Enabled and enhanced Find/Replace Dialog repositioning based on the found selection (works with Replace option too).
- Added routine to move mouse along with the Find/Replace dialog if mouse was over Find or Replace button at time of operation.
- Enhanced Find/Replace dialog to process F3 and F4 keys appropriately.
- Updated code to place a space after the apostrophe when auto-inserting $STAMP, $PBASIC and $PORT directives.
- Updated Tokenizer and Memory Map in order to display GOSUB usage and GOSUB vs. W6, B12 & B13 conflicts on the BS1 Memory Map.
- Enhanced SaveAs dialog to update the extension of the filename if the selected filter contained a single or a double (but not three or more) valid extensions. If the selected filter contained two extensions, the first extension is used for the file name. This was done to support both .BS1 and .BAS extensions for BASIC Stamp 1 code. Parallax highly recommends using .BS1 for new BASIC Stamp 1 code.
Bug Fixes for v2.1
- Fixed bug that caused Debug Terminal to discontinue display of BS1 data when download was performed while Debug Terminal was still open.
- Fixed bug that caused access violation if Debug Terminal opened, then Clear button pressed before any data had arrived in the receive buffer.
- Fixed bug in Com Port Edit routines and Preferences routines that made the customize com ports mechanism misbehave in certain cases.
- Fixed bug causing editor to not be minimize-able after it loaded a file via a Windows Explorer double-click and it was minimized at the time.
- Fixed bug causing annoying anti-minimize effect to continue to occur if OS had previous version of Stamp Editor still associated with file types.
- Fixed bug causing "... file modified but not saved..." message to appear twice.
- Fixed bugs causing the editor to not show open Debug windows via their associate magnifying glass icons or the F12 screen.
- Fixed Find/Replace to resize properly on WinXP.
- Fixed bug causing Close and Close All short-cut menu items to ignore unsaved files in the project.
- Fixed titlebar to refresh properly after the selected file is closed.
- Fixed FindReplace routines to perform ReplaceAll properly, without endless loop bug.
- Fixed FindReplace routines to prevent Invalid Selection Block and Cursor Outside of Selection Block errors.
- Fixed FindReplace routines to replace items in current selection when ReplaceAll is pressed. This works for entire-file or selection and from start-of-file or cursor.
The BASIC Stamp Windows Editor v2.0 includes adjustments to the PBASIC 2.5 tokenizer as well as Syntax Highlighting and other features.
Parallax is proud to release the BASIC Stamp Windows Editor v 2.0 which supports PBASIC 2.5 as featured in the January 2003 Nuts & Volts Stamp Applications Column ("PBASIC Gets a Make-Over"). It's important to note that your old code will compile in the new editor as it is, but the new editor provides additional support for the great features of PBASIC 2.5 with the addition of a simple directive at the top of the program.
The new PBASIC 2.5 is designed to make structured programming much easier and more enjoyable with the BASIC Stamp microcontroller. What you previously found difficult, if not impossible, is now feasible with several new compiler enhancements. No upgrades are required to your BASIC Stamp hardware, either. Note: In order to program the BS1 in the Windows environment you will need to download the BASIC Stamp Editor v2.1 on the downloads page. More information pertaining directly to the programming of the BASIC Stamp 1 module is available here.
Here is a listing of the features and improvements in v2.0:
- Editor no longer terminates unexpectedly when an opened file exceeds 64K
- Run and Check Syntax functions update the syntax display before displaying any error messages or performing a download
- Close function no longer causes exception errors
- Tokenizer now properly recognized data values appearing after a repetitive data block in the DATA directive.
- Save Dialog now automatically modifies the filename's extension when the "Save as type" filter list is changed to another, single extension.
- PBASIC Syntax on-line help window now remembers and resets it's last position and size.
- Installation program allows administrators on WinNT/2K/XP machines to install editor for all users or just a single user.
- Editor places new $STAMP, $PBASIC and $PORT directives on lines 0, 1 and 2, respectively.
- Syntax Highlighting.
- Integrated File Explorer
- Split Screen Capability
- Optional automatic line numbering
- Optional bookmarks
- Improved editing features such as: block selections, auto indent, multiple undo and redo, enhanced find and replace
- Added ELSEIF component of IF...THEN...ELSE structure
- Enhanced PUT and GET to work with Words and the lists of items
- $PBASIC directive to enable new features or compile existing programs without change
- PIN type to simplify the use of IO pin programming
- Several new DEBUG control characters
- DEBUGIN to take serial data from the DEBUG window
- Line continuation for comma-delimited lists
- EXIT to terminate loops
- ON...GOSUB Target1, Target2, Target3, ...
- READ and WRITE work with Words and the lists of items
- Stamp Editor no longer generates an error and closes during startup when a user with low security permissions (on Win2k and WinXP) is logged in.
- Save Dialog now appends extension to file even when user has "Hide file extensions of known types" option selected in Windows.
- Highlighted text (for syntax error messages) are now properly aligned when the source code contains tab characters.
- Current selection is no longer replaced when a directive button or menu item is selected.
- Tokenizer now properly calculates 16-bit compile-time constants from large (>16-bit) expressions.
To download the most current software, visit our BASIC Stamp software page. For more information, download the resources listed below.
|PBASIC 2.5 Syntax Enhancement Notes Provides overview of what's new with the PBASIC language in the BASIC Stamp Windows Editor v2.0
|PBASIC Gets a Make-Over Article in January 2003 Nuts & Volts Magazine from Jon Williams provides examples with the new PBASIC.
|Tracy Allen, of EME Systems, compares PBASIC 2.5 control structures to the previous version of the PBASIC language.
||Link to EME Systems